KAREN HAS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certificate in Teaching Pilates Matwork from Stott Pilates.
- Certificate in Teaching Yoga from Yoga Professionals.
- Level 3 in Exercise & Fitness Knowledge (Anatomy & Physiology) from CYQ.
- Level 3 Certificate in Delivering Learning from City & Guilds
CONTINUED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
• Ultimate Back Care • Mini Flexball Workout
• Total Body Sculpting • Advanced Matwork
•Arm Chair Pilates • Pilates for Men
•Pre & Post Natal Pilates • Shoulder Stability
•Pelvic Girdle Flexibility • Pelvic Floor Strength
• Myofascial Release
Karen is a full member of Fitness Professionals. www.fitpro.com
I discovered Pilates many years ago. Until then I had always seen exercise as a necessary evil that enabled me to eat chocolate without getting too fat. I did my fair share of slogging it out at the gym but never really understood the feel good high that people spoke about. I read a couple of articles about Pilates and thought that it sounded interesting so I set about finding a class.
I remember my very first class. My teacher was amazing. An ex-dancer with a fantastic body, she was a lovely lady who radiated confidence and really inspired me. The exercises weren’t easy, but they made sense and made me feel great. My body became stronger and my muscles more toned. My posture improved to the point that my exaggerated lumbar curve (which had caused me significant lower back pain) disappeared as I realigned my spine and retrained my body to work properly.
I was hooked. Not long after I started Pilates, I knew that one day I wanted to be a Pilates Instructor.
Ten years later, on the recommendation of my Pilates teacher, I started my training with Stott Pilates, a Canadian based company that are internationally recognised. After hours of study, concentration on my personal practice, extensive supervised teaching practice and rigorous exams, I finally qualified as a Mat Work Certified Instructor in June 2006.
Around the same time, I rediscovered my love of yoga. This led me to training and qualifying as a yoga instructor a year later. I knew that, in order to develop his practice, Joseph Pilates had travelled around the world and absorbed influences from many different exercise techniques.
However, I was struck by the extent to which Pilates had drawn from yoga and began to understand better its emphasis on breathing, focus and control. It’s not just about keeping fit; it’s about being in tune with your body, understanding how it functions and being aware of how your mind connects with and controls your body. It is a holistic approach.
Now, I understand why I fell for Pilates all those years ago and why I enjoyed both Pilates and yoga so much. I continue to learn, taking workshops and short courses. I like creating new classes that stimulate the mind and strengthen the body.
Over my years of teaching and training, I have developed my own unique method of exercise incorporating the very best of Yoga and Pilates, which I call Piloga. I now teach Piloga through virtual classes and online courses.
Exercise for me is not about being the strongest, the leanest or even the fittest. It is about total wellbeing; healthy in mind and body and being in tune with both so that I can make the most of what life has to offer.
Most of all, it is about enjoying staying healthy and keeping fit, having fun and still being able to eat chocolate.
“She manages the class at a pace that suits varied levels of experience and ability and creates a relaxed and supportive environment.”
– Jackie Jardine, Kingsbridge –
- Each Piloga class is carefully designed to give you a whole body workout. The movements work on your core giving you strength from the inside. These deep muscles attach into your spine helping to strengthen your back and improve your posture.
- As we work at strengthening your muscles, through gentle stretching we also work on lengthening them to give you increased flexibility.
- We co-ordinate movement and breathing, which not only helps you to increase the intensity of each exercise, but also aids the release of tension and deep relaxation.
- At the end of each session you will feel stronger, more energised and more relaxed.